Sunday, May 5, 2013

Feeding Time

The thing I was the most nervous about becoming a new mom was breastfeeding. When I babysat and nannied none of the moms breastfed and I had not had much exposure to it.  THANK GOD a few of my good friends have recently had babies and had been very open and honest on what to expect when breastfeeding.  Between them and the many many hours researching it, I think it gave me a good idea of what to actually expect and the troubles I may have.

When Avery was born he right away had a bird mouth and was trying to feed. An hour or so after he was born I nursed for the first time and he latched immediately and did really well. The next few days we would do well and then the next feeding would be a struggle. Sunday night/Monday morning the nurse came in and said his weight had dropped below 10% loss and we needed to start supplementing formula through a syringe/tube system - since my milk had not come in yet. This helped him stay interested and he would suck down 1-2 ounces really quickly and feed for 45 to 60 minutes each feeding. The main problem I ran into is he began to cluster feed and be really really hungry for hours and then not want to wake up all night to feed (which would be awesome if he didn't need to gain weight). 

My milk came in the day after we got home from the hospital Wednesday, April 24. On a negative side my nipples took a vacation and are MIA and that does not help and causes a bit of pain when we start to feed. When he is really fussy I pump for 2 minutes to get things going and give him less work to do. When he is really really fussy and has went too long in between feedings I use about 5ml of breastmilk in a syringe and feed it to him to get him calmed down. He tends to miss feedings or take too long in between feedings because we start when we should but he is fussy, so then we swaddle him, and then he falls into a deep sleep, then he sleeps for about an hour and wakes but panicked for food. 

After feedings when I feel like I am still full I try and pump and freeze milk for when he starts getting bottles :( - like May 11 for Emily's wedding. I am seriously not looking forward to my breast competing with a bottle for my sons attention. 

It is funny too how fast you lose your sense of privacy. More people have seen my boobs in the last 2 weeks than in the 5 years since college :)! But since he takes 45-60 minutes to feed him and we feed every 3 hours-ish, it is about 6-8 feedings a day which is easily 6 hours a day that my breasts are hanging out in our house - so if you come over there is a good chance you will catch a glance!

So far it hasn't been too bad. This is by far one of the best decisions I have ever made and I love the bonding time that my son and I get to have. It takes a bit to get use to and I know a lot of people have had a lot more trouble with it than I have, so I know I am lucky and blessed and hope I can feed him like this for at least 6 months. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest